Friday, May 28, 2010

Things I Have to Have in My Car

My car these days is like a baby. I've always been somewhat bemused by people who have a kid, a tiny little human, and then feel compelled to buy an enormous vehicle to cart around the miniature creature; however, they always say the same thing, that you have to cart around so much stuff when you have a baby. There are pushchairs and carseats and bags and toys and, I don't know because I don't have a kid, but I'm sure the list goes on.

Well, my car is a baby. I have to cart around so much stuff in it these days just to keep it on the road. Here's a list:

A gallon of water
An adjustable wrench
WD 40
Spare bulbs
A GPS
A towel

The gallon of water serves to fill up my leaking water tank caused, apparently, by a faulty water pump (hopefully this will get fixed this weekend). The adjustable wrench helps to get the pressurized cap off the water tank because the pressure creates a vacuum when all the water leaks out.

The WD 40 is for the car's post-flood problems. It now gets finicky when it rains, and I can't drive it through puddles. After it rains, I have to spray all the electricals in the the engine with WD 40 so my car won't sputter out and stall. We've had so much rain lately that this has become a common occurrence and I am learning to be prepared.

Spare bulbs: my tail-light bulbs blow out all the time. I keep spare ones on hand at all times.

The GPS: I have no working speedometer, so my GPS serves as a way to tell me how fast I'm going. Actually, driving a manual car makes it easier to guesstimate what speed you're going, but it makes me feel better when I'm followed by a cop if I actually have some idea.

The towel: I have no air conditioning. I keep the windows cracked, especially when I'm at work all day. Sometimes it rains and I don't know, so keeping a towel handy means I don't have to ride home with a wet bottom.

Despite its aging issues, I still love this car. Just had to mention that.

No comments:

Post a Comment